Harold Jacob's excellent Mathematics: A Human Endeavor introduces several mathematical ideas via the game of billiards. I suspect his text is the inspiration for the NCTM Illuminations's Paper Pool lesson plans.
Although the Illuminations site provides a Java applet, I wanted a few more features. I coded it up in both Processing and Scratch so that we could use it in the computer lab.
Here is the Processing version:
You can run Billiards on the Scratch website as well:
Here are the handouts I used with my algebra class:
- Algebra Handout 33: Introduction to Billiards with notes
- Algebra Handout 34: Billiards and Patterns with notes
- Algebra Handout 35: Billiards exit ticket
- Algebra Handout 36: Billiards warmup with notes
- Algebra Handout 37: Billiards data
- Algebra Handout 38: Billiards graphing warmup
- Algebra Handout 39: Billiards team chart
- Algebra Handout 40: GCF and billiards
- Algebra Handout 41: Billiards Quiz Prep
- Algebra Handout 43: Billiards Quiz